Friday 15 May 2009

Premier League countdown


With only a handful of games left in the Premier League this season the title, relegation and European spots have yet to be decided. Here is my look at where I think the silverware is going:

The Premier League title

Liverpool have put up a brave fight this year but I can only see one winner in the title race. Four points in United’s next two games will seal the championship and I thoroughly expect them to get them.

The season’s turning point? Well I have to say Federcio Macheda’s last minute winner against Aston Villa last month which kept United’s noses in front and blunted Liverpool’s title challenge.

Relegation
In what has been one of the tightest relegation battles in Premier League history it is now a case of three out of five. West Brom look favourites for the drop, given they face Liverpool next week and probably need at least four points. The loser of the Tyne-Tees derby between Newcastle and Middlesbrough at St James’ Park also looks doomed. The winner (if there is one) could overtake Hull, who are in freefall and can’t seem to buy a win at the moment. Sunderland’s valuable point at Bolton should see them safe, barring a remarkable set of results.
My Premier League relegation prediction? I think West Brom, Hull and Middlesbrough will be playing Championship football next season with Newcastle making the great escape.

FA Cup final
They may have narrowly missed out on a Champions League final place but Guus Hiddink’s Chelsea have the consolation of a Wembley appearance in the FA Cup final. Their opponents Everton have had to beat three of the top five to reach their first final in 14 years and will be out to cause an upset.

My prediction? Given the teams they have already knocked out I think Everton’s name may be on the Cup. I predict a narrow win for Moyes’ boys.

Europe
The four Champions League places are confirmed (no prizes for guessing who took them) with two Europa League spots going to Villa and Everton. However, given Everton’s involvement in the FA Cup final an extra European spot will go to the seventh placed team. It appears to be a four way battle between Man City, Fulham, Spurs and West Ham. My prediction is for............

Read the rest of my guest blog over at Intersportswire.

No comments:

Post a Comment